As a Colorado resident, you may take pride in living at a high altitude. Your heart is more likely to be healthy, you can probably hold your liquor when you visit coastal towns, and your water boils just a little bit faster. But living in the Mile High City begs an important question—do you need special window glass for high altitudes?
The short answer is no. The ability of a window to provide long-lasting, efficient performance for mountain homes has nothing to do with where they’re made and everything to do with how they’re made.
Characteristics of High-Elevation Windows
Whether you live at sea level or up in the mountains, here are the qualities to look for in high-performance windows:
- Quality frame material: There are many durable window materials to choose from, including vinyl. This option is efficient, affordable, and long-lasting. To get the most out of vinyl windows, make sure you choose options made of 100% pure virgin vinyl since recycled vinyl may not hold up well at high altitudes.
- Multiple panes of glass: Single-pane windows readily transfer heat through the glass. With multiple panes separated by a small air gap, your windows become substantially more efficient. This is an important consideration during the cold Colorado winter.
- Gas infill: While an air-filled gap between two panes helps improve window efficiency, argon or krypton gas infills are even better. These inert gases are denser than regular air, so they slow heat transfer to a crawl, keeping more of the heated air inside your high-altitude home.
- Low-E coating: The relentless summer sun is also a concern at high elevations. The addition of a low-E coating helps reflect UV rays back outside, reducing interior heat gain and protecting furniture and finishes from fading.
- Warm edge spacers: All double- and triple-glazed windows have spacers to keep the panes the proper distance apart. Non-metallic spacers also insulate the edges of the window, reducing heat transfer through the glass.
Need expert help choosing the best replacement windows? Call (303) 507-5206 or contact us online now!
Our Types of Replacement Windows in Colorado Springs
When it comes to windows, we have a variety of different styles, colors, and grids to ensure you get the absolute perfect fit for your home. We have three distinct lines of windows that can appeal to every homeowner’s budget and taste.
- Karma: This double pane window comes in high-performance, energy-efficient options and features an ergonomic design.
- Nirvana: The Nirvana model has the same qualities as our Karma line but offers improved thermal effectiveness and a heavy-duty vent lock.
- Lotus: This triple pane window comes with Ultra S and Solar Ultra S Glass options and is reinforced with fiberglass to ensure maximum security.
Contact Zen Windows Denver today to learn more about our various replacement window options.
Types of Windows Suited for Colorado Homes
When shopping for replacement windows, be aware that they don’t have to be made in Colorado to work well in Colorado. Here are some of the most popular types of windows for Denver homes:
- Double hung windows: As the most popular style at any elevation, double hung windows could make the perfect addition to your mountain home. Their timeless appeal makes them appropriate for historic and contemporary homes alike.
- Casement windows: Coax those Colorado breezes into your home with casement windows, which pivot outward on hinges located on one side. Their tightly closing sashes make them some of the most efficient high-altitude windows available.
- Awning windows: Similar to casements, awning windows pivot outward, but their hinges are located on the top rather than the side. This allows you to enjoy ventilation in any weather condition, even when it starts to rain. Nature-loving Coloradoans can use awning windows to invite the smell of rain into their home without letting the water in.
- Sliding windows: The ease of operating sliding windows makes them a popular choice for Denver homeowners. They look and work great in any room, and they close tightly to ensure optimal energy efficiency.
- Picture windows: Large, beautiful picture windows could be just what you need to fully enjoy those mountain views. Choose custom dimensions up to 96 inches wide by 96 inches tall.
All of the replacement windows available from Zen Windows Denver are ideally suited for high-altitude environments.