Double-hung windows are the most common type found in U.S. homes, but that does not make them boring. Classic double-hung windows by Zen Windows Denver offer many customization options so that they suit your home perfectly.
What Is a Double-Hung Window?
Double-hung windows are composed of two movable sashes, slightly offset from one another to operate (open and close) vertically within a window frame. The upper sash can be lowered and the bottom sash can be raised to create ventilation and frame a lovely outdoor view. Double-hung window sashes also tilt, so you can easily reach the outside surface for cleaning as needed.
To make your double-hung windows unique, choose a window grid (also called a grille) to add character to your windows, such as New England or Prairie style. Your selection of hardware and finish completes the design of your replacement double hung windows.
Our double-hung windows come in a variety of sizes, materials, colors, and options. At Zen Windows Denver, we offer three different lines of replacement windows, each one offering different points of cost and features.
- Karma – Our base level double-pane window, the Karma offers energy-efficient glass options with fusion-welded sashes and frames.
- Nirvana – The Nirvana is a step above the Karma. It offers everything the base model does but includes additional features like foam-filled frames and a heavy-duty vent lock for maximum efficiency.
- Lotus – This triple pane window comes with Ultra S and Solar Ultra S Glass options and is reinforced with fiberglass to ensure maximum security. The Lotus is not only our highest-quality window, but it’s also our bestselling model as well.
Our double-hung windows offer half- and full-screen options. For a similar appearance, consider single-hung windows, which look quite similar, but only open from the bottom. Double-hung windows are generally more expensive than single-hung, but contact our office or request a quote now to quickly find out for yourself.
Advantages of Double Hung Replacement Windows
Versatile and timeless, double-hung windows work well in almost any room, from the kitchen to the great room. Replacement double-hung windows offer benefits that include:
- Two operable sashes for improved fresh airflow.
- Ventilation options. Open upper or lower sash to varying degrees.
- Inward tilt makes this one of the simplest windows to keep clean.
- Classic styling.
- Great for home renovation or historical restoration projects.
- Looks terrific on most types of homes.
- Streamlined vertical opening won’t crowd or block adjacent spaces such as a porch, patio, or walkway.
- Customizable with interior and exterior colors, frame materials, grids, screen type, and more.
- Sash configuration options allow you to request equal-sized sashes, upper sash larger, or lower sash larger.
- Choose U-factor 0.25 for maximum energy efficiency.
- And more.
Contact Zen Windows Denver today to learn more about our various replacement window options.
Our Double-Hung Windows Are Made for High Altitude
In Denver, the high elevation creates some special considerations for windows. Our location makes it harder to create a strong seal on the window. It also can affect the way the gas between the panes expands and contracts with changing temperatures. Zen Windows Denver has window specialists who understand this. When you partner with us for double-hung window installation, you can be confident that our high-quality windows are designed for our unique environment, and they can withstand the demands of a high altitude.
Double-hung window replacement requires the right professionals. Call Zen Windows Denver at (303) 507-5206 or contact us online to schedule double-hung window installation today.
Get Your Replacement Windows at Zen Windows Denver
We believe in providing a stress-free window replacement experience. Our window replacement specialists are very knowledgeable about windows and installation, and they can present all your options to help with your window choice. However, we’ll never perform a sales pitch or pressure you in any way.
Our expert installation ensures your satisfaction, with a lifetime warranty covering windows and our workmanship. We don’t get paid until you are satisfied—and we require no deposit to begin work. We also offer payment plans to fit your budget.
Double-Hung Window FAQ
Have you been considering double-hung windows for your replacement windows in your Denver home? If so, then you may have some questions. Here are some common questions we hear at Zen Windows Denver with answers from our team.
What are double-hung windows?
Double-hung windows are windows with two mobile sashes. This means the top and bottom sash can both move up and down. They also tilt inward so you can more easily clean your windows or replace just one sash if you have an accident and the window breaks.
Are double-hung windows energy efficient?
Installing new windows usually helps you save money on your home’s energy costs, and double-hung windows are part of these savings. Choosing windows with double- or triple-pane glass and that carry Energy Star certification will add even more energy savings with your new windows.
How do I clean double-hung windows?
Easy maintenance is one of the perks of choosing double-hung windows. To keep these windows looking at their best, simply tilt the sash inward to clean the exterior side, then put it back in position to clean the interior side. Use glass cleaner or baking soda with vinegar for the best results.
How long does window replacement usually take?
It takes about an hour to replace one window. The length of time for window replacement will depend on how many windows you are having installed.
Are double-hung or single-hung windows more energy-efficient?
High-quality double-hung windows are quite energy-efficient, but they are not as energy-efficient as single-hung windows. The added opening of the top sash does allow for some efficiency gaps. Zen Windows Denver will help you weigh your options so you can choose the right window for your needs.